2nd mishap

Whoever said cooking isn’t dangerous has never cooked anything that involves hot bacon grease.  As I was cooking my nightly Pioneer Woman Recipe, Ranch Chicken Sandwiches, I  experienced my 2nd mishap of cooking.  Not like I haven’t ever cooked before, but a word to the wise…NEVER POUR HOT BACON GREASE INTO A METAL MEASURING CUP.  DUH!  The recipe calls for reserving 1/4 cup of bacon grease after cooking the bacon in the pan.  Just because I love my stainless steel measuring cups is not a good reason to use them for this purpose.  Some lessons just have natural consequences.  So of course, I burned my hand in 3 places.  Mostly on my index finger just below the nail and the side of my finger as well.  My thumb and middle finger did not come out unscathed either.

As I am reliving this experience in “slo mo”, my mind goes to First Aid 101, in which I have been trained.  It’s a burn; must cool it off.  I immediately put it under cold water.  I mean COLD water!!!!  Ouchie.  I’m thinking…So it must need to ease into it.  Ok, so by now my Husband is on the scene getting me ice water and my son is Googling ‘what to do for a burn’.  I’m crying!  All the while trying to keep a level head so I don’t ruin my beautiful chicken because of course, that is more important than the skin burning off my fingers.  Right?  Ha! Ha!

So we try mustard; a home remedy that I am familiar with over the years.   I plunged my burning fingers into a bowl of yellow mustard.  AAaaaaahhhh!  Mustard works best on minor burns, I think, but I did get some relief.  I oscilated between mustard and cold water (no ice) to find that the cold water was best.  Then I thought maybe something with aloe would do better.  My son looked for it but couldn’t find it.

(Have you ever sent your children to find something that you know you have and they can’t see the forest for the trees or if it was a snake it would have bitten them?  Ya know what I mean? ) That’s what happened with my son and later my daughter too.

I was able to finish the meal in between dunks and remained dunked all during dinner with my giant finger bowl. So after dinner I decided…I can’t walk around with a giant bowl of water.  I’ll go look for the After Sun Gel with aloe.  (growing up in Florida and around the Beach I am very familiar with “sun” burns) Guess where I found it? Yep, like a snake and boy was it the ticket.  Cool and Soothing!

Oh yeah! By the way, the first mishap I had was trying to grate my finger with the cheese.  Not a good idea! Not very tasty!  BE CAREFUL IN THE KITCHEN!

About theneatandeatlife

Wife, Mother of 3, Nana to one beautiful grandson, Early Childhood Professional, Lover of dogs (especially dachshunds), Professional Organizer, Musician and now a small business owner of Pellows-handmade pillows. I firmly believe in my tag above, that everyone has something to offer the world and after being on this planet for over half a century, I’d like to share my offerings.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s